Saturday 7 March 2015

How To Cover Up Acne Scars | The Acne Diaries

Once you've got rid of your acne, your likely to get rid of scars. You might be thinking (as I did) I don't care about scars I just want to get rid of these spots! Well unfortunatley scarring can be just as, if not more difficult to get rid of than acne and, as I found, really difficult to cover! However I finally feel I have found a foundation routine that covers my scars...

Prime
Priming is an important step when trying to conceal your acne scars, it increases the longevity of your foundation keeping you flawless for much longer. There are lots of different primers out there but if you are trying to conceal acne scars I recommend a smoothing primer as some acne scars can be dipped making your skin look bumpy and uneven, a smoothing primer will help you skin texture look more even. I am currently using The Body Shop Drops of Youth Wonder Blur which I am really enjoying, it keeps my foundation on for longer and does smooth my skin a little too, read the blog post I did about it here.

Conceal #1
This is the first step to creating flawless foundation. I use this step to cover the redness of my scarring. I am currently using bareMinerals Correcting Concealer SPF 20 which is a creamy concealer with medium to high coverage that work reasonably well at taking the redness out away the redness. If your looking for a very high coverage concealer then I recommend the Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer. However the reason I like this concealer is that it has added skin care benefits as it contains lemon peel extract, a botanical brightener that work to visibly brighten skin and reduce the appearance of dark spots and discolourations over time. Whether this actually is true or not I am yet to find out as I have not been using this concealer that long however I like the idea that my concealer can help reduce my acne scars. 

Foundation
This step creates an even base for our make up, blending the concealer we have already applied and adding more coverage. I am currently using bareMinerals Original Foundation SPF 15 as it works really well at evening out my skin tone and creating a natural, yet pretty high coverage base, check out my blog post where I talk about it in more detail here. Use a foundation that you like and that you can build into a good coverage.

Powder
This is a pretty important step as using powder sets your foundation keeping it in place for much longer. You can use a translucent powder such as Rimmel's Stay Matte which is great for setting your foundation and taking away any shine if you have oily skin. Or you can use this step to add further coverage such as Revlon's Photo Ready Pressed Powder which is one of my favourite powders to use as it helps create an 'airbrush' finish. 

Conceal #2
Your face should be looking pretty flawless right now but somehow theres always a few scars that manage to shine there way through the make up. So this step is to deal with them annoying little blitters! I again use my bareMinerals Original Foundation with a flat concealer brush to tap the product over the scars. With this step you need to use a concealer that will blend easily otherwise it can look cakey. Using your foundation with a concealer brush is a good way to get the extra coverage yet it will blend easily into your foundation (as its the same product!) You can then apply a little extra powder to set the concealer however I often don't.

What are some of your favourite concealers?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...